Christmas is looming
Johnny
2007-12-10 13:29:06 UTC
Since there's nothing here to respond to today, I'll start something.

Has anyone else a similar problem to me? Namely I have no ideas for gifts
this year. It's two weeks till Christmas Eve. I only have 6 people to buy
for. I can take care of two with gift cards because that's fast, easy and
appreciated by the recipients.

My wife and kids are the big problem. My mother is too but I can buy her
anything. She'll have a problem with it no matter what it is. My son says
he can't think of anything. My daughter and wife won't even talk about
Christmas.

I hate leaving things to the last minute as something always comes up -
like bad weather or some crisis at work which makes last minute shopping
almost impossible and highly stressful.

Anyone else feel impending doom this time of year?

Johnny-stressing-out-over-Christamas
Alfred Packer
2007-12-10 14:59:41 UTC
Post by Johnny
Since there's nothing here to respond to today, I'll start something.
Has anyone else a similar problem to me? Namely I have no ideas for gifts
this year. It's two weeks till Christmas Eve. I only have 6 people to buy
for. I can take care of two with gift cards because that's fast, easy and
appreciated by the recipients.
My wife and kids are the big problem. My mother is too but I can buy her
anything. She'll have a problem with it no matter what it is. My son says
he can't think of anything. My daughter and wife won't even talk about
Christmas.
I hate leaving things to the last minute as something always comes up -
like bad weather or some crisis at work which makes last minute shopping
almost impossible and highly stressful.
Anyone else feel impending doom this time of year?
Johnny-stressing-out-over-Christamas
I have the same problem. I gave up years ago buying presents for the
grandkids I just give them a check for their savings account. They have far
too many toys and I prefer not to waste my money on more useless Chinese
junk The daughters & SILs get showered with gift certificates so that
leaves wife, sister and brother in law in Hawaii.

Al

Johnny
2007-12-10 15:33:04 UTC
Post by Alfred Packer
Post by Johnny
[...]
I hesitate to give the kids more money. Grandma gives them ridiculous
amounts and they have never really learned how to earn money as a result.

An interesting twist to our Christmas is that my son is having jaw surgery
on Friday. He'll be wired shut until the end of January. So he won't be
able to feast with the rest of us.

It's going to be a weird Christmas in our house.

Johnny-buying-my-son-a-new-face
The Traveller
2007-12-10 18:01:48 UTC
Post by Johnny
Post by Alfred Packer
Post by Johnny
[...]
Bless him. Someone should wire you up too. By yer brass.

Edith-uppatt Orly's.
Johnny
2007-12-10 18:09:23 UTC
Post by The Traveller
Bless him. Someone should wire you up too. By yer brass.
Edith-uppatt Orly's.
Nice to see you in the Christmas spirit so early.

Johnny-jingles
The Traveller
2007-12-10 18:11:45 UTC
Post by Johnny
Post by The Traveller
Bless him. Someone should wire you up too. By yer brass.
Edith-uppatt Orly's.
Nice to see you in the Christmas spirit so early.
Johnny-jingles
As long as you don't gingle them for me.

Edith
Johnny
2007-12-10 18:19:40 UTC
Post by The Traveller
Post by Johnny
Post by The Traveller
Bless him. Someone should wire you up too. By yer brass.
Edith-uppatt Orly's.
Nice to see you in the Christmas spirit so early.
Johnny-jingles
As long as you don't gingle them for me.
Edith
No chance of that. I heard you're broke.

Johnny-not-cheap
The Traveller
2007-12-10 18:40:52 UTC
Post by Johnny
Post by The Traveller
Post by Johnny
Post by The Traveller
Bless him. Someone should wire you up too. By yer brass.
Edith-uppatt Orly's.
Nice to see you in the Christmas spirit so early.
Johnny-jingles
As long as you don't gingle them for me.
Edith
No chance of that. I heard you're broke.
Johnny-not-cheap
I wouldn't give tuppence tuh listen tuh you gingle, doh, even if I could
afford it! Besides, yours gingles will be hanging ont Christmas tree anyhow
if you don't hurry up and buy yer wife a present.

Edith.
Johnny

Johnny-gingle-boughs
The Traveller
2007-12-10 20:25:39 UTC
Post by Johnny
Post by The Traveller
Post by Johnny
Post by The Traveller
Post by Johnny
Post by The Traveller
Bless him. Someone should wire you up too. By yer brass.
Edith-uppatt Orly's.
Nice to see you in the Christmas spirit so early.
Johnny-jingles
As long as you don't gingle them for me.
Edith
No chance of that. I heard you're broke.
Johnny-not-cheap
I wouldn't give tuppence tuh listen tuh you gingle, doh, even if I
could afford it! Besides, yours gingles will be hanging ont Christmas
tree anyhow if you don't hurry up and buy yer wife a present.
Edith.
Quite possibly.
Johnny-gingle-boughs
Gingle boughs..............titter.

Edith.

Rex, if you are ever out apple snatching in Cumbria, go to where my Mam used
to live. I took an apple tree over for her once and now it is enormous.You'l
get light green and yellowish oblong apples with a pink blush :)

Edith Pipsqueek.
Norcot
2007-12-11 09:20:33 UTC
Post by The Traveller
Rex, if you are ever out apple snatching in Cumbria, go to where my Mam
used to live. I took an apple tree over for her once and now it is
enormous.You'l get light green and yellowish oblong apples with a pink
blush :)
Edith Pipsqueek.
They sound delicious. But OBLONG ! Is this a ploy by the supermarkets to
save on space and packaging?
Incidentally, nice to see you are still alive and kicking.

Rex
a l l y
2007-12-11 21:22:38 UTC
Post by Norcot
Post by The Traveller
Rex, if you are ever out apple snatching in Cumbria, go to where my Mam
used to live. I took an apple tree over for her once and now it is
enormous.You'l get light green and yellowish oblong apples with a pink
blush :)
Edith Pipsqueek.
They sound delicious. But OBLONG ! Is this a ploy by the supermarkets to
save on space and packaging?
Incidentally, nice to see you are still alive and kicking.
I suppose it could be done, if you put a big rectangular plastic bottle
around the young apple and left it to mature. Then when the apple's ripe and
grown into the bottle you cut it open and hey presto - an oblong apple.
Sounds like a lot of work though. Reminds me of the way Ikea advertise their
cleverly designed watering cans, that fit inside each other and thereby mean
they can fit an awful lot more into a box, reducing the number of lorries
required to transport them.

ally-just-been-to-Ikea
Alfred Packer
2007-12-12 02:53:28 UTC
Post by a l l y
Post by Norcot
Post by The Traveller
[...]
never thought of looking in Ikea for a watering can. My trusty one gallon
one died and I can't find a like replacement. Must check out Ikea if I can
remember where it is,

Al

a l l y
2007-12-12 09:52:28 UTC
Post by Alfred Packer
never thought of looking in Ikea for a watering can. My trusty one gallon
one died and I can't find a like replacement. Must check out Ikea if I
can remember where it is,
The Ikea ones are just for watering a few houseplants. They're not very big.
I didn't know Ikea had got over your side of the pond, though! Gosh!

ally
Alfred Packer
2007-12-13 02:56:51 UTC
Post by a l l y
Post by Alfred Packer
never thought of looking in Ikea for a watering can. My trusty one
gallon one died and I can't find a like replacement. Must check out Ikea
if I can remember where it is,
The Ikea ones are just for watering a few houseplants. They're not very
big. I didn't know Ikea had got over your side of the pond, though! Gosh!
ally
I want it for house plants, my house plants live outside except when its
freezing. The gallon size was excellent for dispensing Miracle Gro. Now I
have to mix the Miracle Gro in a plastic milk jug and pour it into the small
watering can which has also suffered from fatigue and old age.

Our local Ikea is close to where JP an I had the Texas boink early this
year..
http://www.ikeahouston.com/en/

Al

Johnny
2007-12-13 14:15:05 UTC
Post by Alfred Packer
I want it for house plants, my house plants live outside except when
its freezing. The gallon size was excellent for dispensing Miracle
Gro. Now I have to mix the Miracle Gro in a plastic milk jug and pour
it into the small watering can which has also suffered from fatigue
and old age.
Our local Ikea is close to where JP an I had the Texas boink early
this year..
http://www.ikeahouston.com/en/
Al
Our Ikea is a mad house this time of year. My Mrs won't let us go near it
during the pre-Christmas chaos. But otherwise we buy quite a bit there.

It's -18C here this morning. Wakes you right up. Loads of snow on the
ground. We're expecting another few inches overnight. We have to take my
son to the hospital for some surgery tomorrow morning. Driving should be
pretty slow. That's how it goes here in winter. On sunny clear days you
have no place to go. When it's sloppy dangerous out there, you have
something you can't miss on the other side of the city.

Johnny-slip-and-slide
Norcot
2007-12-12 09:05:37 UTC
Post by a l l y
Post by Norcot
Post by The Traveller
[...]
You've been at the cucumber straighteners again! EU regulation, you know.
Apples will be 10cms square and will pack 50 in a box.

Rex. Loves the EU and its B****y regulations!!!!!
The Traveller
2007-12-10 18:08:23 UTC
Post by Alfred Packer
I have the same problem. I gave up years ago buying presents for the
grandkids I just give them a check for their savings account. They have
far too many toys and I prefer not to waste my money on more useless
Chinese junk The daughters & SILs get showered with gift certificates so
that leaves wife, sister and brother in law in Hawaii.
Al
So a teck it I git nowt.

Edith
Norcot
2007-12-10 19:48:09 UTC
Post by The Traveller
So a teck it I git nowt.
Edith
You deserve it - not sending Xmas cards this year.

Rex.
Norcot
2007-12-10 16:00:52 UTC
Post by Johnny
Since there's nothing here to respond to today, I'll start something.
Has anyone else a similar problem to me? Namely I have no ideas for gifts
this year. It's two weeks till Christmas Eve. I only have 6 people to buy
for. I can take care of two with gift cards because that's fast, easy and
appreciated by the recipients.
My wife and kids are the big problem. My mother is too but I can buy her
anything. She'll have a problem with it no matter what it is. My son says
he can't think of anything. My daughter and wife won't even talk about
Christmas.
I hate leaving things to the last minute as something always comes up -
like bad weather or some crisis at work which makes last minute shopping
almost impossible and highly stressful.
Anyone else feel impending doom this time of year?
Johnny-stressing-out-over-Christamas
No! We have bought and delivered most of our presents already. The parcels
ahave arrived at our far flunf family homes and have been acknowledged. We
can now sit back and watch the rest of the world go crazy at the last
minute. I've even found several presents that I know Erica will enjoy. The
pressure is off!
Sorry!

Rex Smug in the knowledge that Xmas 2007 is all stitched up.
Johnny
2007-12-10 17:04:24 UTC
Post by Norcot
Post by Johnny
[...]
Ooooohhhhh! I hope you haven't jinxed yourself!

Johnny-doesn't-really-believe-in-jinxes
The Traveller
2007-12-10 18:10:35 UTC
Post by Johnny
Post by Norcot
Post by Johnny
[...]
I think you men ought to buy your wives an antique teapot on ebay (If there
are any left.)

Edith
Johnny
2007-12-10 18:26:08 UTC
Post by The Traveller
Post by Johnny
Post by Norcot
No! We have bought and delivered most of our presents already. The
parcels ahave arrived at our far flunf family homes and have been
acknowledged. We can now sit back and watch the rest of the world go
crazy at the last minute. I've even found several presents that I
know Erica will enjoy. The pressure is off!
Sorry!
Rex Smug in the knowledge that Xmas 2007 is all stitched up.
Ooooohhhhh! I hope you haven't jinxed yourself!
Johnny-doesn't-really-believe-in-jinxes
I think you men ought to buy your wives an antique teapot on ebay (If
there are any left.)
Edith
Why? We already have several. I've got a nice pewter number I'd be willing
to let go for the right price...

Johnny-may-contain-some-lead...
The Traveller
2007-12-10 18:48:28 UTC
Post by Johnny
Post by The Traveller
Post by Johnny
Post by Norcot
No! We have bought and delivered most of our presents already. The
parcels ahave arrived at our far flunf family homes and have been
acknowledged. We can now sit back and watch the rest of the world go
crazy at the last minute. I've even found several presents that I
know Erica will enjoy. The pressure is off!
Sorry!
Rex Smug in the knowledge that Xmas 2007 is all stitched up.
Ooooohhhhh! I hope you haven't jinxed yourself!
Johnny-doesn't-really-believe-in-jinxes
I think you men ought to buy your wives an antique teapot on ebay (If
there are any left.)
Edith
Why? We already have several. I've got a nice pewter number I'd be willing
to let go for the right price...
Johnny-may-contain-some-lead...
Stick to pottery, porcelain, stoneware. You don't have to polish them. I am
awaiting 9 teapots from Orly for my Christmas present. (Just cheapish ones
but nice and decorative) You can never have too many antiques.

Edith.

Edith.
Norcot
2007-12-10 19:46:56 UTC
Post by The Traveller
Stick to pottery, porcelain, stoneware. You don't have to polish them. I
am awaiting 9 teapots from Orly for my Christmas present. (Just cheapish
ones but nice and decorative) You can never have too many antiques.
Edith.
Edith.
Do I take it you have started collecting teapots? I'll throw you an
original next time I'm on the potter's wheel. But you'll have to pay the
postage to Norway.
Rex - Ever generous
a l l y
2007-12-11 21:25:21 UTC
Post by The Traveller
Stick to pottery, porcelain, stoneware. You don't have to polish them. I
am awaiting 9 teapots from Orly for my Christmas present. (Just cheapish
ones but nice and decorative)
You opening a cafe?
Post by The Traveller
You can never have too many antiques.
Oh yes you can. Oh yes. You can. Really you can.

ally-inherited-too-many-bloody-useless-old-things
Norcot
2007-12-12 09:08:44 UTC
Post by The Traveller
You can never have too many antiques.
Oh yes you can. Oh yes. You can. Really you can.
ally-inherited-too-many-bloody-useless-old-things
Must argue with you once again, Ally. You can't have too many antiques.
Much better than money in the bank these days. Probably safer than houses at
the moment and certainly cheaper than Gold.

Rex.
a l l y
2007-12-12 09:58:42 UTC
Post by Norcot
Post by The Traveller
You can never have too many antiques.
Oh yes you can. Oh yes. You can. Really you can.
ally-inherited-too-many-bloody-useless-old-things
Must argue with you once again, Ally. You can't have too many antiques.
Much better than money in the bank these days. Probably safer than houses
at the moment and certainly cheaper than Gold.
Well it'd be OK if they were real antiques, of the sort that are worth
money. Mine are just the detritus of everyday living in the past; things my
parents, grandparents, and great-grandparents, who all had the same squirrel
gene they passed on to me, couldn't quite bear to throw out. Anything
valuable would have been sold long ago. All that's left is stuff that's
vaguely interesting but tatty, chipped, torn, damaged or otherwise worthless
in money terms. But being their descendant I can't bear to chuck it all out!
My poor son will one day inherit the lot, and since he's almost certainly
got the same gene, he'll be tied down by it in the same way.

Thank goodness for houses with attics.

ally
Norcot
2007-12-12 10:39:42 UTC
Post by a l l y
Well it'd be OK if they were real antiques, of the sort that are worth
money. Mine are just the detritus of everyday living in the past; things
my parents, grandparents, and great-grandparents, who all had the same
squirrel gene they passed on to me, couldn't quite bear to throw out.
Anything valuable would have been sold long ago. All that's left is stuff
that's vaguely interesting but tatty, chipped, torn, damaged or otherwise
worthless in money terms. But being their descendant I can't bear to chuck
it all out! My poor son will one day inherit the lot, and since he's
almost certainly got the same gene, he'll be tied down by it in the same
way.
Thank goodness for houses with attics.
ally
Now you know why I got into antique restoration. That is the best way to
add value to tired antiques.

Rex
Norcot
2007-12-10 19:50:18 UTC
Post by Johnny
Post by The Traveller
Post by Johnny
Post by Norcot
No! We have bought and delivered most of our presents already. The
parcels ahave arrived at our far flunf family homes and have been
acknowledged. We can now sit back and watch the rest of the world go
crazy at the last minute. I've even found several presents that I
know Erica will enjoy. The pressure is off!
Sorry!
Rex Smug in the knowledge that Xmas 2007 is all stitched up.
Ooooohhhhh! I hope you haven't jinxed yourself!
Johnny-doesn't-really-believe-in-jinxes
I think you men ought to buy your wives an antique teapot on ebay (If
there are any left.)
Edith
Why? We already have several. I've got a nice pewter number I'd be willing
to let go for the right price...
Johnny-may-contain-some-lead...
We sold a rococo pewter one recently at auction - got a good price for it.

Rex. It did contain some lead!
Johnny
2007-12-10 20:08:25 UTC
Post by Norcot
Post by Johnny
Post by The Traveller
Post by Johnny
Post by Norcot
[...]
That's very encouraging.

Johnny-off-to-look-up-"rococo"
Norcot
2007-12-10 19:44:39 UTC
Post by The Traveller
I think you men ought to buy your wives an antique teapot on ebay (If
there are any left.)
Edith
Of course, dear. And some used teabags. Scrooge!

Rex
a l l y
2007-12-11 21:24:10 UTC
Post by The Traveller
I think you men ought to buy your wives an antique teapot on ebay (If
there are any left.)
Who uses teapots in this age of teabags? Or is this why there are so many
old ones for sale, 'cause nobody uses them any more?

ally-no-teapot-no-saucer-either
Norcot
2007-12-12 09:07:02 UTC
Post by a l l y
Post by The Traveller
I think you men ought to buy your wives an antique teapot on ebay (If
there are any left.)
Who uses teapots in this age of teabags? Or is this why there are so many
old ones for sale, 'cause nobody uses them any more?
ally-no-teapot-no-saucer-either
We do! And we crook our little fingers when we drain the cup. And we prefer
the tea that the monkeys drink (PG for the foreigners amongst us)

Rex & Erica & Family.
a l l y
2007-12-12 10:01:00 UTC
Post by Norcot
Post by a l l y
Post by The Traveller
I think you men ought to buy your wives an antique teapot on ebay (If
there are any left.)
Who uses teapots in this age of teabags? Or is this why there are so many
old ones for sale, 'cause nobody uses them any more?
ally-no-teapot-no-saucer-either
We do! And we crook our little fingers when we drain the cup. And we
prefer the tea that the monkeys drink (PG for the foreigners amongst us)
Do you use loose tealeaves then, in your teapots? I know you get a much
nicer tea that way, but it's hard to find the stuff nowadays, and most of us
don't have the patience to wait for it to infuse.

PS - they weren't monkeys - they were chimps, which are apes!

ally-the-pedant
Norcot
2007-12-12 10:39:38 UTC
Post by a l l y
Post by Norcot
We do! And we crook our little fingers when we drain the cup. And we
prefer the tea that the monkeys drink (PG for the foreigners amongst us)
Do you use loose tealeaves then, in your teapots? I know you get a much
nicer tea that way, but it's hard to find the stuff nowadays, and most of
us don't have the patience to wait for it to infuse.
PS - they weren't monkeys - they were chimps, which are apes!
ally-the-pedant
We use teabags as you say, good loose tea is hard to get. And I must argue
with you once again.(I do seem to be making a habbit of this) The soft toy
used in the modern PG advert is actually called 'Monkey' We have one
sitting in our fruit bowl nursing the bananas! You really must come up to
date, Ally.

Rex.
a l l y
2007-12-12 23:28:51 UTC
Post by Norcot
Post by a l l y
Post by Norcot
We do! And we crook our little fingers when we drain the cup. And we
prefer the tea that the monkeys drink (PG for the foreigners amongst us)
Do you use loose tealeaves then, in your teapots? I know you get a much
nicer tea that way, but it's hard to find the stuff nowadays, and most of
us don't have the patience to wait for it to infuse.
PS - they weren't monkeys - they were chimps, which are apes!
ally-the-pedant
We use teabags as you say, good loose tea is hard to get. And I must
argue with you once again.(I do seem to be making a habbit of this) The
soft toy used in the modern PG advert is actually called 'Monkey' We have
one sitting in our fruit bowl nursing the bananas! You really must come up
to date, Ally.
Gosh I'm really out of touch, eh? I don't think I've seen an ad for PG Tips
for years. I obviously watch all the wrong channels.

ally-prefers-Tetley-anyway
Norcot
2007-12-13 08:12:21 UTC
Post by a l l y
Post by Norcot
We use teabags as you say, good loose tea is hard to get. And I must
argue with you once again.(I do seem to be making a habbit of this) The
soft toy used in the modern PG advert is actually called 'Monkey' We
have one sitting in our fruit bowl nursing the bananas! You really must
come up to date, Ally.
Gosh I'm really out of touch, eh? I don't think I've seen an ad for PG
Tips for years. I obviously watch all the wrong channels.
ally-prefers-Tetley-anyway
Each to his own tipple. Ma in law is an Earl Grey fan - I can't stand the
stuff. I find Yorkshire tea too strong but I must admit Tetleys is nice.
Didn't Tetleys make a rather nice bitter?

Rex.
a l l y
2007-12-13 12:56:13 UTC
Post by Norcot
Post by a l l y
Post by Norcot
We use teabags as you say, good loose tea is hard to get. And I must
argue with you once again.(I do seem to be making a habbit of this) The
soft toy used in the modern PG advert is actually called 'Monkey' We
have one sitting in our fruit bowl nursing the bananas! You really must
come up to date, Ally.
Gosh I'm really out of touch, eh? I don't think I've seen an ad for PG
Tips for years. I obviously watch all the wrong channels.
ally-prefers-Tetley-anyway
Each to his own tipple. Ma in law is an Earl Grey fan - I can't stand the
stuff. I find Yorkshire tea too strong but I must admit Tetleys is nice.
Didn't Tetleys make a rather nice bitter?
Well, once again, each to their own, but I always found Tetley's beer to be
foul, tasteless, flat and a sorry excuse for a pint, and I speak as one
whose decision to move to this area was partly swayed by the proximity of
Jennings Brewery at Cockermouth.

I don't like Earl Grey either, though, so we're together on that one!

ally
Johnny
2007-12-13 14:05:14 UTC
Post by a l l y
Post by Norcot
Each to his own tipple. Ma in law is an Earl Grey fan - I can't stand
the stuff. I find Yorkshire tea too strong but I must admit Tetleys
is nice. Didn't Tetleys make a rather nice bitter?
Well, once again, each to their own, but I always found Tetley's beer
to be foul, tasteless, flat and a sorry excuse for a pint, and I speak
as one whose decision to move to this area was partly swayed by the
proximity of Jennings Brewery at Cockermouth.
I don't like Earl Grey either, though, so we're together on that one!
ally
Don't listen to her, Rex. Tetley's bitter is/was OK. There's plenty that
are better but I recall it was light and inoffensive. Probably pretty good
if you'd just finished a hard job on a hot day. Something Ally may not be
familiar with.<g>

One of the joys of being a tourist in Britain is testing all the local
bitters. Some are "foul" but most are pretty smooth. The rare one is
ambrosia.

Johnny-likes-bitters-best
Norcot
2007-12-13 16:39:25 UTC
Post by Johnny
Post by a l l y
Post by Norcot
[...]
I did ask if they used to make one - I wasn't sure. I do not recall ever
trying Tetley bitter. In the days when I did drink bitter draught
Worthiongton E or Ruddles County were the nectar of choice. I do recall
Green King when I first visited the lake district - I wasn't impressed.

Rex.
Johnny
2007-12-13 17:32:49 UTC
Post by Norcot
Post by Johnny
Don't listen to her, Rex. Tetley's bitter is/was OK. There's plenty
that are better but I recall it was light and inoffensive. Probably
pretty good if you'd just finished a hard job on a hot day. Something
Ally may not be familiar with.<g>
One of the joys of being a tourist in Britain is testing all the
local bitters. Some are "foul" but most are pretty smooth. The rare
one is ambrosia.
Johnny-likes-bitters-best
I did ask if they used to make one - I wasn't sure. I do not recall
ever trying Tetley bitter. In the days when I did drink bitter draught
Worthiongton E or Ruddles County were the nectar of choice. I do
recall Green King when I first visited the lake district - I wasn't
impressed.
Rex.
I have such a horrible memory, I can't recall the names of the good ones
I've had over there. I associate the better ones with the north of England
with one exception - something I had in a place called The Beehive near
Poole about 15 years ago - I think it had a bunch of X's in the name. I
remember thinking it had a name reminiscent of a condom brand. But it was
excellent.

Johnny-Four-X?-Six-X?-Ten-X?-can't-remember
Norcot
2007-12-13 18:05:01 UTC
Post by Johnny
Rex.
I have such a horrible memory, I can't recall the names of the good ones
I've had over there. I associate the better ones with the north of England
with one exception - something I had in a place called The Beehive near
Poole about 15 years ago - I think it had a bunch of X's in the name. I
remember thinking it had a name reminiscent of a condom brand. But it was
excellent.
Johnny-Four-X?-Six-X?-Ten-X?-can't-remember
I vaguely recall a 4X brand sold in the UK . I think it was an Australian
beer. And I think it was canned. Does that ring a bell?

Rex.
Johnny
2007-12-13 21:20:41 UTC
Post by Norcot
Post by Johnny
I have such a horrible memory, I can't recall the names of the good
ones I've had over there. I associate the better ones with the north
of England with one exception - something I had in a place called The
Beehive near Poole about 15 years ago - I think it had a bunch of X's
in the name. I remember thinking it had a name reminiscent of a
condom brand. But it was excellent.
Johnny-Four-X?-Six-X?-Ten-X?-can't-remember
I vaguely recall a 4X brand sold in the UK . I think it was an
Australian beer. And I think it was canned. Does that ring a bell?
Rex.
I think "4X" was the condoms.

Johnny-pretty-sure-spelled-differently-though
Jpinny

Jp
Norcot
2007-12-16 11:08:31 UTC
Post by Jpinny
Post by Norcot
Post by Johnny
Rex.
I have such a horrible memory, I can't recall the names of the good ones
I've had over there. I associate the better ones with the north of England
with one exception - something I had in a place called The Beehive near
Poole about 15 years ago - I think it had a bunch of X's in the name. I
remember thinking it had a name reminiscent of a condom brand. But it was
excellent.
Johnny-Four-X?-Six-X?-Ten-X?-can't-remember
I vaguely recall a 4X brand sold in the UK . I think it was an Australian
beer. And I think it was canned. Does that ring a bell?
Rex.
Castlemaine XXXX?
Jp
That sounds right, Jp. I had the rhythm of the word in my memory but
couldn't quite flesh it out. Must be a year or two ago.

Rex
Alfred Packer
2007-12-16 17:47:03 UTC
Post by Norcot
Post by Jpinny
Post by Norcot
Post by Johnny
[...]
I've got one of their T-shirts, think I won it in a Boules match in
Leicestershire ten yeara ago.

Al never tasted the beer

Edgar
2007-12-13 21:06:56 UTC
Post by Johnny
I have such a horrible memory, I can't recall the names of the good ones
I've had over there. I associate the better ones with the north of England
with one exception - something I had in a place called The Beehive near
Poole about 15 years ago - I think it had a bunch of X's in the name. I
remember thinking it had a name reminiscent of a condom brand. But it was
excellent.
Johnny-Four-X?-Six-X?-Ten-X?-can't-remember
6X is a kind of Organic Natural Fertiliser

Edgar
Johnny
2007-12-13 21:28:46 UTC
Post by Edgar
Post by Johnny
I have such a horrible memory, I can't recall the names of the good
ones I've had over there. I associate the better ones with the north
of England with one exception - something I had in a place called The
Beehive near Poole about 15 years ago - I think it had a bunch of X's
in the name. I remember thinking it had a name reminiscent of a
condom brand. But it was excellent.
Johnny-Four-X?-Six-X?-Ten-X?-can't-remember
6X is a kind of Organic Natural Fertiliser
Edgar
Oh dear. I leaning toward 10X now. But I really can't remember. It was
definitely on tap in The Beehive. Not in cans. My cousin put me on to it.
Doubt he'd remember that far back either. I think it might have been local
to the area.

Johnny-would-probably-have-recognised-a-fertilizer-in-a-sleeve-as-such
Edgar
2007-12-13 21:50:23 UTC
Post by Johnny
Post by Edgar
Post by Johnny
I have such a horrible memory, I can't recall the names of the good
ones I've had over there. I associate the better ones with the north
of England with one exception - something I had in a place called The
Beehive near Poole about 15 years ago - I think it had a bunch of X's
in the name. I remember thinking it had a name reminiscent of a
condom brand. But it was excellent.
Johnny-Four-X?-Six-X?-Ten-X?-can't-remember
6X is a kind of Organic Natural Fertiliser
Edgar
Oh dear. I leaning toward 10X now. But I really can't remember. It was
definitely on tap in The Beehive. Not in cans. My cousin put me on to it.
Doubt he'd remember that far back either. I think it might have been local
to the area.
Johnny-would-probably-have-recognised-a-fertilizer-in-a-sleeve-as-such
Seems 6X has two versions:

""""""""""""
Wadworth have been brewing 6X in their Devizes brewery for over 80 years.
This delightful copper-coloured beer has a malty, fruity nose with a
restrained hop character.
The same characteristics emerge on the palate but with more
intensity,leading to a lingering malty finish. The beer is full bodied and
distinctive but with a high drinkability, ensuring its position as one of
the South of England's most requested beers.

No matter where you are you can be sure that every pint of 6X is handmade
in Devizes.
6X is brewed from 93% pale malt, 4% crystal malt and 3% cane sugar. The
bitterness units of 22-24 are obtained from Fuggles hops (85% of total) in
the copper and Goldings hops (15%) on the hop back plates. Colour rating is
28 .
""""""""""""

Perhaps the spent hops are recycled?

Edgar-not-a-beer-drinker
Johnny
2007-12-13 23:11:05 UTC
Post by Edgar
Post by Johnny
Post by Edgar
Post by Johnny
[...]
That must be it! Devizes is not all that far from Poole. Wiltshire is
right above Dorset. Not quite local but that's probably it. "Handmade"
indeed. That would have appealed to my cousin. I certainly thought it a
good one.

Well done. You may not be a beer drinker but you're a good sleuth!

Johnny-mystery-solved
Ray Ingham
2007-12-14 00:27:31 UTC
Post by Johnny
Post by Edgar
Post by Johnny
Post by Edgar
Post by Johnny
[...]
XXXX is the most popular beer here in Queensland
Ray
a l l y
2007-12-14 00:59:28 UTC
Post by Ray Ingham
XXXX is the most popular beer here in Queensland
Am I right in thinking all Australian beer is yellow beer, or what I'd call
lager? Is there any dark beer, like British real ale, brewed there?

ally
Ray Ingham
2007-12-14 01:14:17 UTC
Post by a l l y
Post by Ray Ingham
XXXX is the most popular beer here in Queensland
Am I right in thinking all Australian beer is yellow beer, or what I'd
call lager? Is there any dark beer, like British real ale, brewed there?
ally
There is dark draught beer brewed here but lager is by far the most
popular. I think the theory is that it cools you down better in hot weather
Ray
a l l y
2007-12-14 10:00:21 UTC
Post by Ray Ingham
Post by a l l y
Post by Ray Ingham
XXXX is the most popular beer here in Queensland
Am I right in thinking all Australian beer is yellow beer, or what I'd
call lager? Is there any dark beer, like British real ale, brewed there?
ally
There is dark draught beer brewed here but lager is by far the most
popular. I think the theory is that it cools you down better in hot weather
Another old wives' tale! Or old husbands' tale, more like. . .

ally
DB
2007-12-14 13:20:16 UTC
On Fri, 14 Dec 2007 10:00:21 -0000, "a l l y"
Post by a l l y
Post by Ray Ingham
Post by a l l y
Post by Ray Ingham
XXXX is the most popular beer here in Queensland
Am I right in thinking all Australian beer is yellow beer, or what I'd
call lager? Is there any dark beer, like British real ale, brewed there?
ally
There is dark draught beer brewed here but lager is by far the most
popular. I think the theory is that it cools you down better in hot weather
Another old wives' tale! Or old husbands' tale, more like. . .
ally
VB for me. I can feel the cooling amber going down now!

DG
Norcot
2007-12-14 08:31:03 UTC
Post by Ray Ingham
XXXX is the most popular beer here in Queensland
Ray
That would be the one I saw advertised over here. It was a canned lager or
pale ale.

Rex
Edgar
2007-12-14 03:45:20 UTC
Johnny wrote:
8><-------------
Post by Johnny
Well done. You may not be a beer drinker but you're a good sleuth!
Johnny-mystery-solved
Google found it.

There used to be "Iredale's Celebrated XXX Pale Ale" from the Carlisle
brewery of Joseph Iredale in the days before the State Management Scheme.

see: "Carlisle Breweries and Public Houses 1894-1916"
www.bookscumbria.com/cgi-bin/trolleyed_public.cgi?action=showprod_2274

No connection with me that I can find though.

Do the Xs mean anything? Strength?

Edgar
Ray Ingham
2007-12-14 05:10:32 UTC
Post by Edgar
8><-------------
Post by Johnny
Well done. You may not be a beer drinker but you're a good sleuth!
Johnny-mystery-solved
Google found it.
There used to be "Iredale's Celebrated XXX Pale Ale" from the Carlisle
brewery of Joseph Iredale in the days before the State Management Scheme.
see: "Carlisle Breweries and Public Houses 1894-1916"
www.bookscumbria.com/cgi-bin/trolleyed_public.cgi?action=showprod_2274
No connection with me that I can find though.
Do the Xs mean anything? Strength?
Edgar
No. Its a trade name, they usually advertise it as fourex.
http://www.xxxx.com.au/
Ray Ingham
2007-12-14 05:17:22 UTC
Post by Ray Ingham
Post by Edgar
8><-------------
Post by Johnny
Well done. You may not be a beer drinker but you're a good sleuth!
Johnny-mystery-solved
Google found it.
There used to be "Iredale's Celebrated XXX Pale Ale" from the Carlisle
brewery of Joseph Iredale in the days before the State Management Scheme.
see: "Carlisle Breweries and Public Houses 1894-1916"
www.bookscumbria.com/cgi-bin/trolleyed_public.cgi?action=showprod_2274
No connection with me that I can find though.
Do the Xs mean anything? Strength?
Edgar
No. Its a trade name, they usually advertise it as fourex.
http://www.xxxx.com.au/
The nest one seems better
http://www.xxxxbitter.com.au/main/main.html
Johnny
2007-12-14 11:38:31 UTC
Post by Edgar
Post by Johnny
Well done. You may not be a beer drinker but you're a good sleuth!
Johnny-mystery-solved
Google found it.
There used to be "Iredale's Celebrated XXX Pale Ale" from the Carlisle
brewery of Joseph Iredale in the days before the State Management Scheme.
see: "Carlisle Breweries and Public Houses 1894-1916"
www.bookscumbria.com/cgi-bin/trolleyed_public.cgi?action=showprod_2274
No connection with me that I can find though.
Do the Xs mean anything? Strength?
Edgar
My daughter would say they are kisses.

Johnny-O's-are-hugs-apparently
Ray Ingham
2007-12-15 00:35:54 UTC
Post by Johnny
Post by Edgar
Post by Johnny
Well done. You may not be a beer drinker but you're a good sleuth!
Johnny-mystery-solved
Google found it.
There used to be "Iredale's Celebrated XXX Pale Ale" from the Carlisle
brewery of Joseph Iredale in the days before the State Management Scheme.
see: "Carlisle Breweries and Public Houses 1894-1916"
www.bookscumbria.com/cgi-bin/trolleyed_public.cgi?action=showprod_2274
No connection with me that I can find though.
Do the Xs mean anything? Strength?
Edgar
My daughter would say they are kisses.
Johnny-O's-are-hugs-apparently
If you have enough XXXX it does tend to make you want to kiss people!
Ray
Jpinny
2007-12-15 17:28:47 UTC
Post by Edgar
8><-------------
Post by Johnny
Well done. You may not be a beer drinker but you're a good sleuth!
Johnny-mystery-solved
Google found it.
There used to be "Iredale's Celebrated XXX Pale Ale" from the Carlisle
brewery of Joseph Iredale in the days before the State Management Scheme.
see: "Carlisle Breweries and Public Houses 1894-1916"
www.bookscumbria.com/cgi-bin/trolleyed_public.cgi?action=showprod_2274
No connection with me that I can find though.
Do the Xs mean anything? Strength?
Edgar
I've always thought that "X" meant "Extra". Boring, eh?

Jp
The Traveller
2007-12-15 10:54:19 UTC
Post by Edgar
Post by Johnny
I have such a horrible memory, I can't recall the names of the good ones
I've had over there. I associate the better ones with the north of England
with one exception - something I had in a place called The Beehive near
Poole about 15 years ago - I think it had a bunch of X's in the name. I
remember thinking it had a name reminiscent of a condom brand. But it was
excellent.
Johnny-Four-X?-Six-X?-Ten-X?-can't-remember
6X is a kind of Organic Natural Fertiliser
Edgar
:))))))))))))))))))))))))))) Just what he needs.

Edith (still alive and packing)
Norcot
2007-12-15 12:24:07 UTC
Post by The Traveller
Post by Edgar
6X is a kind of Organic Natural Fertiliser
Edgar
:))))))))))))))))))))))))))) Just what he needs.
Edith (still alive and packing)
Mornin' Edith. Cold day here in Rutland. I prefer this winter weather - it
is healthier. Hope you are well.

Rex.
a l l y
2007-12-13 23:57:33 UTC
Post by Johnny
Post by a l l y
Post by Norcot
Each to his own tipple. Ma in law is an Earl Grey fan - I can't stand
the stuff. I find Yorkshire tea too strong but I must admit Tetleys
is nice. Didn't Tetleys make a rather nice bitter?
Well, once again, each to their own, but I always found Tetley's beer
to be foul, tasteless, flat and a sorry excuse for a pint, and I speak
as one whose decision to move to this area was partly swayed by the
proximity of Jennings Brewery at Cockermouth.
I don't like Earl Grey either, though, so we're together on that one!
ally
Don't listen to her, Rex. Tetley's bitter is/was OK. There's plenty that
are better but I recall it was light and inoffensive. Probably pretty good
if you'd just finished a hard job on a hot day. Something Ally may not be
familiar with.<g>
Ha! There's been many a time when I've been working hard on a hot day and
been very glad of a pint of good Scottish heavy beer. And that's probably
why I can't stand Tetley's warm, watery brew, having grown up with the dark,
cold, real ales of Scotland with their densely frothy head, strong flavour
and high alcoholic content.
Post by Johnny
One of the joys of being a tourist in Britain is testing all the local
bitters. Some are "foul" but most are pretty smooth. The rare one is
ambrosia.
Good way of spending a holiday!

ally
Johnny
2007-12-14 11:48:19 UTC
Post by Johnny
One of the joys of being a tourist in Britain is testing all the
local bitters. Some are "foul" but most are pretty smooth. The rare
one is ambrosia.
Good way of spending a holiday!
ally
I think the important thing to remember here is that there are still plenty
of beers to choose from in England - and I presume Scotland. I was
seriously disappointed in Ireland in April. Pubs there were often staffed
with eastern Europeans (not that there is anything wrong with that) and
served either Guinness or Murphy's, one Irish lager, and a half dozen
American and European beers. I couldn't find a pint of Kilkenny in
Kilkenny! I know it's not made there but you'd think tourists would lap it
up in Kilkenny.

Johnny-says-be-happy-in-England
a l l y
2007-12-14 14:32:35 UTC
Post by Johnny
Post by a l l y
Post by Johnny
One of the joys of being a tourist in Britain is testing all the
local bitters. Some are "foul" but most are pretty smooth. The rare
one is ambrosia.
Good way of spending a holiday!
ally
I think the important thing to remember here is that there are still plenty
of beers to choose from in England - and I presume Scotland. I was
seriously disappointed in Ireland in April. Pubs there were often staffed
with eastern Europeans (not that there is anything wrong with that) and
served either Guinness or Murphy's, one Irish lager, and a half dozen
American and European beers. I couldn't find a pint of Kilkenny in
Kilkenny! I know it's not made there but you'd think tourists would lap it
up in Kilkenny.
That's awful! There used to be some good Irish beers about. Scotland still
has a good number of breweries: in fact a lot of new, small, craftsman
breweries are springing up all over the place. The big, older ones tended to
be bought out by big international companies, and some of them vanished, but
the new upstarts are doing so well that there's still a good and tasty
selection.

ally
Norcot
2007-12-14 15:39:10 UTC
Post by a l l y
That's awful! There used to be some good Irish beers about. Scotland still
has a good number of breweries: in fact a lot of new, small, craftsman
breweries are springing up all over the place. The big, older ones tended
to be bought out by big international companies, and some of them
vanished, but the new upstarts are doing so well that there's still a good
and tasty selection.
ally
We have several mini breweries in this area. Peterborough. which is half an
hour down the A1 from here, seems to hold CAMRA gatherings on a regular
basis. Maybe it's a Midlands thing?

Rex
a l l y
2007-12-14 22:00:59 UTC
Post by Norcot
Post by a l l y
That's awful! There used to be some good Irish beers about. Scotland
still has a good number of breweries: in fact a lot of new, small,
craftsman breweries are springing up all over the place. The big, older
ones tended to be bought out by big international companies, and some of
them vanished, but the new upstarts are doing so well that there's still
a good and tasty selection.
ally
We have several mini breweries in this area. Peterborough. which is half
an hour down the A1 from here, seems to hold CAMRA gatherings on a regular
basis. Maybe it's a Midlands thing?
Oh there's one or two around here too. Hesket Newmarket still hangs on,
brewing things like Doris' 90th Birthday Ale and various beers named after
local fells; there's the Bitter End brewery in the back of the pub; there's
Yates at Allonby; all sorts of things like that dotted around. Gives you a
nice warm feeling.

ally
Norcot
2007-12-15 10:09:14 UTC
Post by a l l y
Oh there's one or two around here too. Hesket Newmarket still hangs on,
brewing things like Doris' 90th Birthday Ale and various beers named after
local fells; there's the Bitter End brewery in the back of the pub;
there's Yates at Allonby; all sorts of things like that dotted around.
Gives you a nice warm feeling.
ally
Brilliant! These local ales, brewed on a small scale have character about
them. Lots of love goes into them. A bit like the difference between a small
specialist shop and the giant supermarkets.

Rex
Jpinny
2007-12-15 17:34:17 UTC
Post by Johnny
I think the important thing to remember here is that there are still plenty
of beers to choose from in England - and I presume Scotland. I was
seriously disappointed in Ireland in April. Pubs there were often staffed
with eastern Europeans (not that there is anything wrong with that) and
served either Guinness or Murphy's, one Irish lager, and a half dozen
American and European beers. I couldn't find a pint of Kilkenny in
Kilkenny! I know it's not made there but you'd think tourists would lap it
up in Kilkenny.
Johnny-says-be-happy-in-England
I briefly passed through Dublin airport in September. We got an Irish
breakfast (lots of Euro's) while we waited for our connection to
Manchester, and were served by Poles and sat amongst other airport
employees also taking breakfast and chatting with the waitresses in
Polish! On the way home, waiting for the long haul to JFK, we were
served rather nice Guinness by Irish-sounding fellows, while Ireland
played rugby on the telly, which was quite exciting, even though they lost.

Jp
Jpinny
2007-12-15 17:39:15 UTC
Post by a l l y
Post by Johnny
Post by Johnny
One of the joys of being a tourist in Britain is testing all the local
bitters. Some are "foul" but most are pretty smooth. The rare one is
ambrosia.
Good way of spending a holiday!
ally
My daughter is currently experimenting with the ales in the watering
holes of Aberdeen! I shall pick her brains for comments about Scottish
beers when she gets back.

She sounded Scottish on the phone again! Three days have wiped the
Yankee out of her accent.

Jp
Jpinny
2007-12-16 22:44:15 UTC
Post by a l l y
Gosh I'm really out of touch, eh? I don't think I've seen an ad for PG Tips
for years. I obviously watch all the wrong channels.
ally-prefers-Tetley-anyway
You 'um it son, I'll play it.

This is a classic, which I know back to front:

I drank PG Tips all last year. I am currently drinking Taylor's of
Harrogate Yorkshire Blend. Both excellent brews, as is Tetley's, which
is available locally as Tetley's "British Blend".

Jpiana's on my foot

a l l y
2007-12-10 21:34:08 UTC
Post by Johnny
Anyone else feel impending doom this time of year?
Yes. Always.

ally
Norcot
2007-12-11 09:19:54 UTC
Post by a l l y
Post by Johnny
Anyone else feel impending doom this time of year?
Yes. Always.
ally
Funnily enough, we have an impending family crisis - not of our making I
must add - that will come to a head immediately before Xmas.
We are all doomed, Mr Mannering, Doomed... Domed... Doomed. I'm sure you can
do that better than me, Ally, as it really needs a Scottich accent to get
the full effect.

Rex. Watched Dads' Army very occasionally.
Jpinny
2007-12-16 20:27:02 UTC
Post by Norcot
Post by a l l y
Post by Johnny
Anyone else feel impending doom this time of year?
Yes. Always.
ally
Funnily enough, we have an impending family crisis - not of our making I
must add - that will come to a head immediately before Xmas.
We are all doomed, Mr Mannering, Doomed... Domed... Doomed. I'm sure you can
do that better than me, Ally, as it really needs a Scottich accent to get
the full effect.
Rex. Watched Dads' Army very occasionally.
I watched it enough to know that it was Captain *Mainwaring* but
pronounced "Mannering"!

Jp ;-)
Jpinny
2007-12-15 13:06:35 UTC
Post by Johnny
Since there's nothing here to respond to today, I'll start something.
Has anyone else a similar problem to me? Namely I have no ideas for gifts
this year. It's two weeks till Christmas Eve. I only have 6 people to buy
for. I can take care of two with gift cards because that's fast, easy and
appreciated by the recipients.
My wife and kids are the big problem. My mother is too but I can buy her
anything. She'll have a problem with it no matter what it is. My son says
he can't think of anything. My daughter and wife won't even talk about
Christmas.
I hate leaving things to the last minute as something always comes up -
like bad weather or some crisis at work which makes last minute shopping
almost impossible and highly stressful.
Anyone else feel impending doom this time of year?
Johnny-stressing-out-over-Christamas
I have a feeling of impending doom about gifts for two of my nephews who
are 12 and 18 respectively. I know they will appreciate Amazon gift
cards, but the doom is related to the value of the dollar and the fact
that a twenty quid gift will cost me at least forty bucks each!

On the other hand, I want to find a local tee-shirt printer for silly
tee-shirts for my two co-workers. I've had weeks to do this, and we'll
be going our separate ways until January on Wednesday! I'm online to get
some phone numbers of printers.

Women generally like jewellery. It doesn't have to be precious
jewellery, but a small, fashionable and interesting designer/artisan
costume piece from a swanky department store or even a stylish jeweller
shows thought. Cashmere sweaters are very popular this year, as are long
cashmere plaid and patterned or solid colour scarves or silk pashminas.

Elderly ladies sometimes appreciate nice chiffon silk scarves, to keep
their necks warm. They also like chocolate, since the over-seventies
don't appear to have the weight issues of younger women. Indoor flower
baskets and planters are another idea. (I send things like this to the
elderly lady in my life, and she appreciates them, but she also thanks
me for things I didn't send her, including free stuff from the Daily
Telegraph gardening clubs she belongs to.)

My kids usually make their requirements known in an un-subtle way, or
ask me for impossible-to-get things for their birthdays in the Summer
and Fall, which aren't in stock until December, conveniently in time for
Christmas.

Jp-giving-too